- Dish type
- Classic cakes
- Ginger cake
Using fresh, ground and crystallised ginger gives this ginger cake an extra rich flavour.
81 people made this
- 375g plain flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 300g caster sugar
- 250ml vegetable oil
- 250ml treacle
- 125ml apple juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 50g chopped crystallised stem ginger
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:1hr ›Ready in:1hr20min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Butter and flour a 25cm springform cake tin.
- Stir together flour, cinnamon, cloves, ground ginger, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar with oil, juice, treacle, eggs and fresh ginger in a large bowl. Mix in crystallised stem ginger. Stir in flour mixture. Pour into prepared tin.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until cake tester comes out clean. Run a knife around the edge to loosen cake, and release tin sides. Serve warm.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(44)
Reviews in English (33)
I made this cake today and it just didnt cook through not even after an additional 20 mins in oven-23 Oct 2011
In the oven now ....-17 Nov 2015
by Meg Natural
So so so good! The candied ginger is what did it for me. If you can't find it, don't worry! It's very easy (and cheap) to make. Here's what I did: bring 1 1/3C sugar and 1C water to a boil. Add 1C chopped, peeled ginger and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain, dry and sprinkle with sugar. It's quite strong when eated alone but when baked into this bread, it just adds a super rich flavor and a fun chewy texture.-10 Nov 2008