Australian Meat Pie Ingredients
- Ground beef 500 grams
- Onion 1 piece
- Puff pastry 350 grams
- Flour 3 tablespoons + for rolling dough
- Ketchup 2 tablespoons
- Soy sauce 2 tablespoons
- Worcestershire sauce 2 tablespoons
- Water 1 cup
- Dried thyme 1 teaspoon
- Dried oregano 1 teaspoon
- Vegetable oil for frying and for lubricating the mold
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Main Ingredients: Beef, Onion, Puff Pastry
- Serving 5 servings
Inventory:Knife, Cutting board, Oven, Bakeware, Kitchen stove, Frying pan, Kitchen spatula, Teaspoon, Tablespoon, Rolling pin, Glass (capacity 250 milliliters), Kitchen brush
Cooking Australian Meat Pie:
Step 1: prepare the onion.
So, we begin to prepare our dish and we will start with onions. We peel it from the husk and rinse it under running water, put it on a cutting board and chop it into small pieces of any shape, up to 1 centimeter in size, with a sharp knife.
Step 2: prepare the meat filling.
Next, turn on the temperature of the stove to a medium level and put the pan on the burner. Pour some vegetable oil, and wait for the fat to warm up. As soon as this happened, spread the chopped onion and fry it until soft and light golden crust. Then we lay out the thawed ground beef and break it into small pieces with a kitchen spatula. Fry the minced meat until the meat changes color from red to gray, while not forgetting to mix with a kitchen spatula.
Add 3 tablespoons of flour, ketchup, thyme, oregano to the cooked minced meat and mix everything thoroughly. After 1 - 2 minutes of frying, pour water, soy and Worcestershire sauce.
Stew the minced meat for 10 minutes, during which time it should thicken and at the very end of cooking add salt with black pepper to taste. Then turn off the fire of the stove, and set the prepared filling aside to cool to room temperature.
Step 3: prepare the dough.
Step 4: make a cake.Using a kitchen brush, carefully grease the bottom and walls of the mold with vegetable oil. We take the first test layer and carefully transfer it to the mold; for these purposes, you can use a rolling pin. Then with our hands we give it the shape of a container, while the dough should hang slightly from the edges. Next, pour the cooled minced meat onto the dough, level it with a tablespoon and close it with a second test layer. We tightly connect them to each other so that the filling does not leak out during baking, either with your hands or with a fork, and cut off the remaining dough with a knife.
Step 5: bake the meat pie.
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. On the surface of the pie we make a small cruciform nazderz so that the dough does not swell or pierce it in several places with a fork and send it to a hot oven. Bake the cake for 35 to 40 minutes until fully cooked. During this time, the dough should be completely baked and covered with a delicious blush. We take out the finished baking from the oven and squeeze for 10 - 15 minutes to cool.
Step 6: serve Australian meat pie.Australian meat pie is served warm for lunch or dinner with tomato sauce, but you can treat your family and friends with any other sauce of your choice, such as mustard or cheese, sour cream is also great. All delicious, fragrant cake is ready!
Enjoy your meal!
- In addition to these spices, you can add nutmeg, garlic powder or other aromatic spices to your mince to your taste.
- For the preparation of traditional Australian meat pie, ground beef is used, but it can be replaced with pork or minced meat from a mixture of different types of meat.
- If you have a desire and free time, it is better to prepare puff pastry for the pie yourself.
- This dish is preferable to cook from chilled minced meat or cooked at home, but you can use frozen minced meat. Before cooking, you must properly defrost it and it is better to do it in the refrigerator. But in a microwave oven or under a stream of hot water, it is not advisable to defrost.
- In order to make the cake more ruddy, you need to grease it with an egg.